Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Primed and a vist from the nuts

Good news! The porch railing is all primed and ready for white paint this afternoon. It's looking much nicer than the bare wood already, it's going to look awesome after the final coat.

The funny part of there evening is who dropped by to visit. Two girls from the local ACORN office stopped at my house after my neighbors trying to sign me up for something. The timing was perfect as I noticed an article in the very paper I used to mask off the porch on the duplicates and fraudulent voter registrations being submitted by them.


They said hi to which I responded, "I already heard you are from ACORN, there is an article about you guys and your voter fraud issues right there." (points) "Thanks, have a nice day" was their only response.

Getting involved is good, fraud is however not so good. ;)

9 comments:

Erin said...

"ACORN is the nation's largest community organization for low- and moderate-income families. Created more than 30 years ago, it has branches in 100 cities and claims 350,000 families as members. It works to help create affordable housing and health care, and to improve job conditions and neighborhood schools.

Lagstein said ACORN's Detroit office has hired dozens of employees for the voter registration program and that any problems likely stem from sloppiness or incompetence -- not an intent to let people vote more than once."

I'm sure that is from the same article in the Free Press... I hope you were nice to the girls! It doesn't sound like anything ill-intended; it can be hard to keep people organized. :)

Ali B. said...

Ok, how did Erin post a comment at 1:10 in the afternoon? From work? I can't even open a blogspot page from work! :)

Erin said...

Glen's timing must be set to... California time?? ;)

Jason said...

(sigh) democrats....

Glen R said...

I'm sure lots were simple mistakes, but considering there have been successful prosecutions against their employees, there must be some merit to the article.

Glen R said...

BTW, watch it on the Democrats, I'm marrying one. ;)

Jason said...

No harm intended.. just a sigh. :-)

PiperChristian said...

Interesting... you refer to them as "nuts" in the title, cooly (I can not figure out how to spell that right) brush them off as they approach you, and then make excuses for them in a reply to a comment?! I'm confused...

I'm not even touching the democrat thing...

Glen R said...

Good points.

Personally I think most ACORN folks are completely legit, there is nothing illegal about collecting voter registrations. Unfortunately it's also a hiding place for the "by any means necessary" mindset, add a paycheck per registration to the mix and it's probably not the best model for the institution to follow. I googled up ACORN and fraud, lots of interesting articles. Some blogs to be taken with a grain of salt, but some real prosecutions too.

I imagine that turning it into a volunteer, non-paid organization would eliminate a good chunk of the problem, but it would also reduce their effectiveness.