Sunday, June 29, 2008

Where am I driving home from?

Scene one: Shakey is at his friends house chilling on a Sunday night while on call for work.

Beep Beep Beep!

Shakey: Crap first page of the weekend, I knew I couldn't get off Scott free.

Shakey calls the resolution center to acknowledge the page

Bid's the Vierik's goodnight, heads out to drive hoe and call the customer

Dials phone:

Shakey: Hello is nurse X there?

Customer: This is she, can I help you.

Shakey: Hi I'm Glen with the System Wide Desktop and Network Services department and you called in a P2 about a screen saver that blocking out your stat board. I just want to find out if it runs on a PC at your location or out of the primary data center.

Nurse: I don't know, they logged into it and tired to fix it twice but it still goes on. If a doc needs to push meds or anything critical it's on the board but it's not working.

Shakey: I understand it's important and I want to do everything I can help you get it working again. I'm driving home right not but I'll be home in ten to fifteen minutes where I can look at the issue on a computer and get more background on it.

Nurse: Where are you driving home from?

Shakey: (Scratches head) (Scratches head again) Just from a friends house. (WTF does that have to do with this?) Sigh.......

Nurse: Oh.

Shakey: I'm on call, not at the office.

Nurse: Ooooh. (Sounds snarky)

Shakey: I'll pull up what I can as soon as possible and get this routed properly, but I have a hunch that it's not my system that's doing it.

Nurse: (Sounding less snarky) Ok, it's being doing this for three days and we need to get it fixed.

Shakey: Three days is far too long for something like this, I'll see what I can do to help. If you don't hear from me you should hear from another tech at your site soon. Thanks! Click!


Strange, I've never been asked where I was before while on call. I guess you are supposed to be sitting at home just watching that pager. :)

2 comments:

Ali B. said...

A slow night for Nurse X.

Di said...

Call . . . heh. I COMPLETELY understand that bit. Ugh. Nurses usually are snarky.